Cotecna has been a world-leading trade inspection, security and certification company for over 38 years. Operating from its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, it has almost 100 offices and 4,000 employees and agents worldwide. The company specializes in the development of solutions enabling governments to combat fraud, protect Customs revenue, maintain internal security and facilitate lawful commercial exchanges at national borders.
The security of goods in transit is a core priority for governments with an increasing regulatory requirement for all journeys to be fully monitored. Cotecna was also looking for a solution that would speed up the Customs process at border points.
To meet these requirements and as part of its focus on delivering exceptional customer service, Cotecna was looking to exploit the latest communications technology. In particular, to support transit monitoring services, Cotecna needed a global partner with expertise and experience in M2M to take this forward.
Pierre-Olivier Pellegrin, Senior VP, Security and Inspection Technology, Cotecna
Enhance monitoring solutions to deliver increased goods-in-transit security, trade facilitation and customer service.
- Purpose-built track-and-trace solution tailored for Customs transit monitoring
- On-board data transmission to central system via GPRS for consolidation using back-office software
- Application based on M2M Intelligent Apps Enabler (formerly known as Connected Device Platform)
- Selection and testing of on-board devices
- Web-based transit monitoring software for real-time monitoring via mapping GUI with event and alarm management and logging
- Program management and software maintenance
For Cotecna, Orange has developed Cotrack®, a new solution that enhances Customs transit monitoring capabilities.
- On-board devices identify the exact location of a vehicle
- Orange and Cotecna deliver exclusive turn-key solution
- The enhanced transit monitoring solution was deployed and has been operational in Togo, West Africa, since 2011
- Customs offices receive real-time updates
- Registration at journey checkpoints and borders is faster
- Long-lasting, adapted SIMs cope with extreme weather conditions
- Capability is usable worldwide thanks to the Orange international M2M connectivity coverage
- Comprehensive picture is available: vehicle location, time, alarm alert, incident type and status
- System that tracks and traces all transit operations
- Impossible to by-pass the system
- Customs has real-time status updates: location, time, incident and alarm alert
- Enhanced border control security reduces fraud, raises Government revenue and facilitates fair trade