AkzoNobel is the largest global paints and coatings company with international brands including Dulux, Sikkens, International and Eka, over 55,000 employees in 80+ countries and 2010 revenues of €14.6B. This Global Fortune 500 company has a constant need to protect its people, data and intellectual property. However, its security solution was a mix of legacy in-house systems, multiple outside vendors and a range of outsourced security services. In addition, its business acquisitions had significantly increased bandwidth demand, which highlighted the need for a security upgrade.
AkzoNobel’s requirements included rationalizing, standardizing and consolidating services as well as enhancing governance capabilities to meet audit and SOX guidelines. The company also wanted to release its in-house security team from day-to-day operations so it could focus on developing and overseeing the company’s global IT security strategy. Last, but by no means least, the security review was considered an opportunity to address increasing budget pressures.
Edwin Wijnhoven, Service Delivery Manager, Corporate IT, AkzoNobel Packaging and Coatings
Reduce costs while enhancing network and Internet security.
- Outsourced 24x7 managed security service
- Three regional hubs: AsiaPac, EMEA and Americas with dual connectivity – Internet and WAN
- Fully redundant security servers
- Internet access and web filtering
- Remote web/network/Internet/application access
- Third-party network/local network gateway/server-to-server gateway/IPSec VPN/firewall
The Orange Business managed global security solution has delivered significant financial savings together with enhanced and proven capabilities for protecting AkzoNobel’s business.
- Business case savings of €1M per year
- Day-to-day management of operational issues
- Internal resources refocused to IT security strategy
- Simplified management by a single global security provider
- Rationalized and standardized worldwide service
- Robust and reliable 24x7 managed service
- Comprehensive security capabilities
- Clearer, more defined internal usage regulations
- Compliance with SOX requirements
- Standardized reliable, secure global network and Internet access
- €1M savings per year
- Increased security capabilities
- Refocus of internal resources on IT strategy
- Enhanced governance and meeting of SOX requirements