Embracing a Social Media Culture By Stephanie Moritz, ConAgra foods, USA
Social Media is everywhere. It is now mainstream. Consumers refuse to be marketed at. They want to participate, they have a passion. The challenge is to adapt it within a large organisation. How do you create inspiring programmes for your customers? It takes:
- Targeted manageable plan,
- A plan that supports business goals,
- A focus on consensus building:
- Setting a plan that achieves and ties to your business objectives
- How do your get champions on board?
- Long term commitment:
- 1st step: understand how social media fits in our culture and objectives. How can you amplify your PR effort using SM
- Creating a masterplan: define clear business objectives and match them with the SM initiative
- Enterprise-wide solution. Not just Marketing
- Establish some guidelines before moving into that space
- Building the foundation first and listen to conversations. Who Responding to consumers. Addressing issues in a transparent manner.
- Getting to know the blogging community. We ourselves tried blogs and tried and understand => Building communities
- 2nd step: getting senior management to become a champion (through CMO)
- Digital immersion
- 3rd step: create coalition: there wasn't much budget or staff. Experts and specialists throughout the organisation have been identified. All cross functional teams were identified. Enthusiasm made it.
- (Audit) Identified key bloggers and organised discussions on products and how they could work together.
- Created a Twitter page, spent a lot of time on it
- Created a facebook page
- Benchmarks, listened to conversations
- Attended blogger events and blogger media conferences for the sole purpose of listening
taginlineimportWhen should a brand use social media? Not everyone should jump on the bandwagon Benchmarks are carried out continuously Key to success:
- Set clear goals,
- Create enterprise-wide endorsement,
- Determine roadmap,
I specialize in information systems, HighTech marketing and Web marketing. I am author and contributor to numerous books and the CEO of Visionary Marketing. As such, I contribute regularly on this blog for Orange Business Services account on cloud computing and cloud storage topics.