Further to my first post on the basics of project management last week, I received quite a few requests for information about the set of tools which could be of use to project managers. Of course, I do not wish or even can list the entirety of the numerous tools which are made available on the market.
I will therefore endeavour to provide a few pointers, which I believe could be useful to project managers who wish to build their own toolbox. I indeed say toolS because needs are multiple: project scheduling, time tracking and progress reporting, collaboration tools, document sharing, projects portfolio management, risk management...
benchmark studies about project management software
- Side-by-side comparison of project Management software products: http://project-management-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
- List of 287 project management software products: http://www.project-management-software.org/project/
- Thirteen reviews of project management, bug tracking and customer software products: http://www.project-management-software.org/reviews.asp
- The best tools for the Project Managers according to Michael Wood on Gantt Head with a specific section at the end of the document on tools for satisfaction surveys and scorecards: http://www.gantthead.com/article.cfm?ID=241113
- Projects Portfolio Management Tools: http://www.gantthead.com/content/articles/239750.cfm
project management software selection
- Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_project_management_software
- Framasoft ( collaborative tools): http://www.framasoft.net/rubrique383.html
- Gantthead ( any categories): http://www.gantthead.com/tools/
- [Fr] Journal du Net: "Les outils de gestion de projet Open Source" http://www.journaldunet.com/solutions/0610/061025-panorama-gestion-projets-open-source/1.shtml
- Gartner's magic Quadrant for IT Project and Portfolio Management
- IDC's MarketScape: IT Project and Portfolio Management Vendor Shares
I've been leading IT projects for more than 20 years at telecom and computer manufacturers: Thomson Sintra, Digital Equipment, NCR, Nortel Networks, Orange Business Services. My passion is Project Management and leadership and I run a blog on the PM best practices at http://dantotsupm.com/