*um positioned as Leader in the 2021 ISG Provider Lens™ Analytics Services Platforms and Solutions reports for Germany
Date: December 2021
Authors: Holm Landrock and Srujan Akurathi
The ISG Provider Lens™ Analytics Services – Platforms and Solutions Germany report sees more German companies seeking digital transformation after pandemic, labor shortages and infrastructure issues stalled broad adoption. This report evaluated the capabilities of 37 providers across two quadrants: Data Science Services and Data Engineering Services, and *um (The unbelievable Machine Company), an Orange Business Services company, has been recognized as a Leader.
Receiving a “Leader” award indicates that we have a highly attractive product and service offering and a very strong market presence and competitive position, and we fulfill all requirements for successful market cultivation. We are regarded as opinion leaders, providing strategic impulses to the market, and ensure innovative strength and stability.
Data Science Services
*um is well known for its methodologies and ability to guide clients from the beginning on the path to advanced data science solutions.
- Data science is *um's "playground": Data science services are the company’s domain, offering clients a comprehensive approach to data exploration and analysis
- Ability to deploy cloud-agnostic solutions with hyperscalers in own data centers: With the support of parent company Orange Business Services, *um has partnerships with hyperscalers to strengthen its market position and accelerate project implementation. It also provides training on the use of hyperscaler platforms to provide a comprehensive set of data engineering solutions
- Data thinking instead of design thinking: *um is continuing to excel with its unique application of data thinking. This method, which goes far beyond design thinking, helps users not only to implement analytical applications but also to think fundamentally about the use of existing data. In this way, the data can be applied in completely new contexts for a user company. Data thinking has a foundation in the skills of *um employees and is mostly secure from being copied by other providers. On this basis, the company also offers a portfolio of data science services and helps companies enter this complex field
- Center of excellence as a service: With this new subscription model for the use of *um services, clients can achieve more with their own resources
- Methodology confirmed by references: The references show how large German companies initially develop ideas for a data science project. This means that clients do not have to first define the project framework, identify and prepare data sources or formulate the task. Read more here.
Data Engineering Services
*um (Orange Business Services) caters to clients of all sizes and provides access to complementary services from the parent company, helping it to consolidate its leadership.
- Specialist for growth courses: The company was able to increase its sales by 15 percent during the year of the pandemic. The references and large number of vacancies indicate a strong growth course
- Parent company with international activities: Since 2018, *um has been part of Orange Business Services and can thus draw on the resources of an international IT service provider for projects. This has enabled it to expand the range of its competence centers
- Strong reference cases: In the first year of the pandemic, *um quickly built a Power BI-based reporting solution for a global company based in Germany. It provided access to a data warehouse through an ELT pipeline and helped migrate data from multiple databases. It also met the high safety requirements of the client. Read more here.
About the ISG Provider Lens™ Research