Information overload: part victim, part addict
You used to just about keep your chin above water, but now the inbox has topped 1GB, you haven't replied to voicemails left last week and your LinkedIn account has 20 unanswered invitations to connect. You find you check for messages on your iPhone, deskphone, Skype, Facebook, email and your company's instant messaging platform and then go back and check them again. Part victim, part addict. You spend a week out of the office and the first day back is a write off - from 9-5 it's just catching up.
- over-active thumbs will create 8 trillion SMS messages in 2011;
- there's expected to be 1.3 billion IM users by 2016;
- there are 800 million active Facebook accounts, and rising;
- global email traffic is expected to reach 507 billion messages per day by 2013.
- 43% answer texts or emails when out on dates or other social occasions;
- 33% check email in the middle of the night;
- 40% ignore family and friends.