Michel Tanguy, Head of IT Support Systems
Interview with Michel Tanguy, Head of IT Support Systems
SCNF Réseau, formerly RFF, controls the French railway network. With your company so heavily decentralized, how has the creation of 28 videoconferencing rooms contributed to the organizational consistency of the company?
In 2009, our regional offices gained importance in the heart of our organization. More and more significant needs were being felt in terms of conferences, meetings and information sharing – on an internal level – between the regions and the head office, as well as between the regions themselves. But also in an external context with our partners and suppliers: local authorities and businesses. We wanted to reduce travel and excess working time as well as the resulting fatigue…the objective wasn’t an economic one, even if we have optimized our traveling costs, but to streamline and improve our organization. Videoconferencing has responded well to that.
You immediately opted for a solution from an external source, why?
At the time, RFF was a young company. It was difficult for us to manage a videoconferencing solution ourselves, since it's complex to administer and to keep up to date with our own resources. Furthermore, we needed a working system immediately. For this, we wanted a global operator and a network, service and videoconferencing equipment provider all in one. The choice of Orange was an obvious one, and we opted for a managed video solution.
How has Orange offered support?
From the testing phase up until deployment, each region benefited from an Orange project manager integrated within our teams.
What are the advantages of the solution for your users?
- One of the advantages is the double screen and its display quality. In fact, we have chosen to separate the screen where you see the speaker from the one where we share documents. In our field of work, we work on train paths and routes on a multitude of lines, for which we need a screen dedicated to these maps for real working comfort. Today, our users are completely satisfied with the image quality and the efficiency of document sharing.
- On the other hand, the ability to extend a meeting in progress or even to invite new participants via the online Video Pilot tool, streamlines our exchanges.
- Another advantage is that we now have at our disposal a videoconferencing solution that is consistent at all of our equipped sites. Our users benefit from the same experience everywhere, encouraging adoption and allegiance to the service.
Overall, we and our partners can connect easily via an ISDN or Internet connection, whether it's from a PC, tablet or smartphone.
What is your assessment, and how do you see the solution evolving?
Today, our rooms are used a lot, and we would like to capitalize on this solution because it completely meets our needs. It's difficult to concretely predict how our business will evolve because the parameters of our business are currently changing. We envision that the videoconferencing services will move toward on-site utilization by our technicians via tablet devices. This would give them the ability to rely on a remote expert’s opinion, especially during equipment inspections, which would improve our maintenance procedures.
- 28 videoconferencing rooms
- Double screen for the highest quality and comfort
- High image quality