- global Life Sciences and Materials Sciences company
- goal to increase business agility, reduce time to market and
improve global communication and collaboration
- Orange Telepresence-enabled network, hosted state-of-the-art
bridge to support high-definition global videoconferencing
- range of TANDBERG systems: high-definition group systems
and desktop video units
- results: reduction in global travel costs, increased productivity
through travel time saved, enhanced global communication
and collaboration and reduced carbon footprint
"We are acting in a quickly evolving business, with a continuous need to innovate, to become more agile and to reduce our time to market. IT needs to enable these needs and goals, and the solution Orange offers does exactly that by allowing our business units to focus on their core activities."
issues and challenges
DSM is a global Life Sciences and Materials Sciences company with headquarters in the Netherlands. DSM operates from 200 sites in 49 countries on five continents, achieved annual sales of €8B in 2009 and employs some 22,700 people worldwide.
The company’s focus is on “sustainable innovations” and “providing solutions to global societal issues by manufacturing and selling sustainable products ... that create energy efficiency and help our customers to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, water consumption and/or waste.” As a testimony to its commitment in this area, DSM has regained its leading position in the chemical industry sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
DSM has focused on increasing business agility, reducing time to market and building its presence in emerging markets. Improving global communication and collaboration is a priority as part of a drive to raise productivity and reduce costs. A number of business units had independently installed video endpoints that were unmanaged and not integrated into the DSM global network.
- Digital workspace
reduce travel costs and enhance global communication and collaboration to increase business agility and reduce time to market
the Orange Business Services solution
- fully managed global videoconferencing solution – audio/video/streaming content service – on the Orange Telepresence-enabled network
- hosted state-of-the-art bridge to support high-definition environment
- range of TANDBERG systems – high-definition group systems and desktop video units
- ITIL-based service management
- program and partner management – TANDBERG, VisionsConnected and Dutchview
The deployment of a global, centralized, managed videoconferencing solution has made a significant contribution to DSM meeting its sustainability objectives, particularly by facilitating the world’s largest ever global virtual meeting for 400 top managers – five locations, three continents, one virtual meeting!
- substantial reduction in travel costs
- integrating existing endpoints into the managed service avoiding equipment write-down
- reduced carbon footprint
- employee time saved through not traveling and better work/life balance
- very positive feedback that the high-definition team meeting solution aids global communication and collaboration
- IT now seen as a “value creation center”
- reduced opportunity for personal accidents and sickness
- lower incidence of equipment damage and loss